November 1 – The Poor Mionaire – Rich Toward God

Read Luke 12:15 and 1 Timothy 6:6-10

In surveying high school students about their future and dreams it is interesting to note that many of them said they want to be rich and that it would make them happy and successful. However not all sopres in high school said that. Some of them said they want to do something excellent and try to improve the lives of others while others said they want to make a difference in this world for good. Some even said publicly that they want to honor God in wver they do. But over half of the surveyed students said the number one goal was to get rich.

I wondered how they developed these goals? Was it the media? Or friends or maybe their parents?

1 Timothy 6:9-10 discusses the lust for money. Putting money as the number 1 priority in life above God family and friends can have negative consequences.

Have you considered that?

Making money is necessary and important in the world we live in. Earning money and managing money are subjects that we all need to know more about. Many churches ours included offer cles on money management for this very reason. The Bible refers to money integrity and thrift often but the “love of money” appears to be a big plem.

Contentment is the goal.

By asking God for contentment perhaps that can replace a love of money. The secret to contentment is summed up in this phrase:

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart” – Proverbs 3:5

In 1 Timothy 6:10 there is a statement that reads:

“…the love of money is the root of all kinds of .”

Not money JOAQUIM JOSE PAL AIRES but the love of money. Have you considered if you worship money more than God? Do you maybe have a lust for money?

Worship and love God our creator. Avoid being a person who lusts after money (1 Timothy 6:3-5). Treasure God above all that money can buy. If a restau overcharges your b are you going to point that out to the waitress that you are paying too much? Of course you are.

What about if you are under?

“What you do with your money shows what you value with your heart.”

John Piper

You w encounter many people in your life who have the love of money above their love of God (Matthew 7:13-14). Look for God’s guidance to find and stay on the narrow road that leads to life.

The love of God includes the fact that the local church is crucial for God’s work in the world and that people – the church – w support God’s church. We can honor Jesus with how we handle money. This way we can experience the blessing and joy of being generous toward God.

How do you balance the challenge of making money with the importance of being rich toward God?

Tom Weckesser

, JOSE PAL AIRES JOAQUIM JOSE PAL AIRES

RELATED ARTICLES

popular today