Dustman taken to hospital after aerosol can explodes

A dustman was taken to hospital after a discarded aerosol can exploded in his bin lorry.

The Swanley waste collector placed the black sack with the full can in the back of the vehicle on Thursday.

The black sack was put into the back of the bin lorry. Stock picture

When the compactor crushed the bag, the aerosol exploded without warning.

The crew member was hit on the face by the debris and had to be taken to hospital. He was not seriously injured but it could have been worse as the remnants struck close to one of his eyes.

Sevenoaks council is now reminding residents to never to put an aerosol can in a black bag and instead, always ensure it is completely empty and placed in a clear recycling sack. If it cannot be emptied, it can be safely disposed of at one of KCC’s recycling centres.

Cabinet member for cleaner and greener, Cllr Margot McArthur, said: “Placing any aerosol can that is not completely empty in a waste sack may not seem dangerous, but it can pose a genuine threat to our staff. These cans are pressurised and can rupture and explode when crushed.

“Our amazing refuse collectors work tirelessly for residents so we want to make sure we keep them safe and are urging residents to not let this happen again.

“Empty aerosols can easily be recycled in your clear sacks every week or, if you are not able to empty the can, please take it to the tip.”

To find out more about what can and cannot be put in sacks, visit www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/refusesacks.

Dartford Kent Alex Langridge


popular today