There have been a “number of fatalities” and “several” other casualties are receiving treatment following a “serious firearms incident” in Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall police say.
A shooter involved in the incident has been shot and is believed to be dead, Sky News’ Mark White has been told.
It is not being treated as terror-related and the incident, in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of the city, has been contained, police added.
A critical incident had been declared and the area cordoned off.
Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Police were called to a serious firearms incident in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of Plymouth at around 6.10pm today.
“Officers and ambulance staff attended. There have been a number of fatalities at the scene and several other casualties are receiving treatment.
“A critical incident has been declared. The area has been cordoned off and police believe the situation is contained.”
One witness, who lives near Biddick Drive and gave her name as Sharron, told the BBC the incident was “horrendous and so sad”.
She said: “Firstly, there was shouting, followed by gunshots – three, possibly four to begin with.
“This was when the shooter kicked in the door of a house and randomly started shooting… he ran from the house shooting as he ran and proceeded to shoot at a few people in the Linear Park up from the drive.”
Home secretary Priti Patel tweeted: “The incident in Plymouth is shocking and my thoughts are with those affected.
“I have spoken to the Chief Constable and offered my full support.
“I urge everyone to remain calm, follow police advice and allow our emergency services to get on with their jobs.”
Update: awaiting confirmation of number of victims but this looks like a very grim day for our city and our community.
Please can I ask that you think of the families and our community and not share any images or videos of any of the victims. #keyham
— Luke Pollard MP (@LukePollard) August 12, 2021
She was echoed by Shadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds who posted: “Truly terrible news. Thinking of the families and friends of those who have died and those injured. Thank you to our remarkable emergency services.”
Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard said it was “a very grim day for our city and our community”.
The Labour frontbencher added that he was “awaiting confirmation” of the number of victims.
Plymouth Moor View MP Johnny Mercer also said on Twitter that the incident is “not terror related”, adding that the suspect involved is “not on the run”.
Police said the incident in the Keyham area has been contained. Pic @dylan_hainey/Twitter
In an earlier tweet he said: “Please obey all instructions from the police and do not post rumour or speculation on social media.”
Meanwhile, Plymouth Argyle FC tweeted: “Our hearts go out to victims of tonight’s tragic incident in our city, alongside their families, friends, and the wider Plymouth community.”
South Western Ambulance Service said “Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART), multiple ambulances, air ambulances, multiple doctors and senior paramedics” were all sent to the scene of of the incident at 6.12pm.
The incident is not terror related, and neither is the suspect on the run in Plymouth. Remain calm. It is for the Police to confirm further details. Do not repost chatter or gossip; work with them. We have the best cops in the land.
— Johnny Mercer (@JohnnyMercerUK) August 12, 2021
Multiple police vehicles remain in the area.