Sarah Everard: Family say ‘we miss her all the time’ one year on from brutal murder | UK News

Sarah Everard’s family have said their lives are “changed forever” and “we miss her all the time” in a tribute to mark a year since the marketing executive’s murder.

Ms Everard, 33, was kidnapped, raped and murdered in south London on 3 March 2021.

Her killer was a serving Metropolitan Police Officer, Wayne Couzens, who is now serving a whole-life jail term.

People paid tribute to Everard in Clapham Common after he body was found in Kent last year

In a statement, Ms Everard’s family said: “It is a year since Sarah died and we remember her today, as every day, with all our love. Our lives have changed forever and we live with the sadness of our loss. Sarah was wonderful and we miss her all the time.

“Over the past year, we have been overwhelmed with the kindness shown to us, not just by family and friends, but by the wider public. We are immensely grateful to everyone for their support, it has meant such a lot to us and has comforted us through this terrible time.

“Sadly, Sarah is not the only woman to have lost her life recently in violent circumstances and we would like to extend our deepest sympathy to other families who are also grieving.”

Ms Everard went missing on 3 March 2021 as she was walking home near Clapham Common.

Read more: A year after Sarah Everard’s murder, are women any safer?

How Sarah Everard’s killer was caught

A vigil was held for Everard in Clapham Common last year

Her disappearance sparked a mass search across south London and six days later Couzens was arrested in Kent, first on suspicion of kidnapping and later on murder.

Ms Everard’s remains were found in woodland near Ashford, Kent, on 10 March.

The Metropolitan Police firearms officer has used his warrant card and handcuffs to kidnap Ms Everard as she walked home, using COVID-19 lockdown rules as the premise for a false arrest.

Serving Met Police officer Wayne Couzens was given a life order to prison in September 2021

Couzens, 48, had been planning the crime for at least a month.

Vigils were held for Ms Everard around the UK and one gathering in Clapham Common led to criticism for the police response after four people were arrested for breaching COVID regulations.

Couzens pleaded guilty to kidnapping and rape on 8 June and gave another guilty plea for murder the following day.

Lord Justice Fulford gave Couzens a whole life order on 30 September.


popular today