I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! bosses have been dealt a blow after a star reportedly dropped out of the 2021 line-up.
It comes after ITV announced the popular series, fronted by Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, would be returning to Wales for a second time. The show, which usually airs in November, will take place once again from Gwrych Castle in Abergele instead of the Australian jungle.
The broadcaster said this was due to the “continued uncertainty” around Covid-19 and international travel, and a “highly successful run” at the Welsh location last year, which saw Giovanna Fletcher crowned the first Queen of the Castle.
Read more:I’m A Celebrity 2021 location and line-up as ITV and Gwrych Castle confirm Wales return
But returning back to the UK to film has proved too much for one celebrity, who is believed to have pulled out, while others could follow suit, reports The Mirror.
I’m A Celebrity chaos as ‘popular star quits’ following show’s return to Wales
(Image: Getty Images)
A source told The Sun : “One popular star dropped out immediately. Bosses are still in talks with loads of top celebs about taking part and feel confident this won’t put people off given last year’s success.”
They continued that some stars won’t find “roughing it” in wet Wales as fun as doing it in the Australian jungle.
The insider added: “Luckily for bosses, the ones who have signed contracts are all still on board. And bosses have still got plenty of time to pull out all the stops when it comes to booking major talent.”
Earlier this week ITV officially confirmed I’m A Celebrity 2021’s location after months of uncertainty with a statement.
ITV Head of Entertainment Commissioning, Katie Rawcliffe, said on Monday: “We can confirm today that we’ll be returning to Wales for the 2021 series of I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!
“We’ve always said we have contingencies in place for the series if the covid situation continued to bring uncertainty, and after a highly successful run at the castle last year we’re pleased that we can return there.
“I have no doubt the production team will produce another hugely entertaining series.”
Director of Unscripted at Lifted Entertainment, Richard Cowles, added: “With the continued uncertainty around Covid and international travel we have taken the decision not to return to our home in Australia for the 2021 series. We’re excited to return to Gwrych Castle. The last series was a huge success and we were made to feel so welcome by everyone locally and can’t wait to see everyone again.”
The Welsh Government and Gwrych Castle bosses have also responded to the announcement. You can read everything they said here.
To get the latest news from WalesOnline sent straight to your email inbox click here .